Recent Songs of the Day
December 18, 2018: After A Year Like This One by Alanis Morissette
- Nominated by 18.104.22.168.
- To me, this song affirms each year of surviving out here, after the shock of losing him wore off as the rest of them returned.
Preferred Date: December 18, 2018 (8th year since I lost my spouse, after only 6 months of marriage)
- Nominated by CosmicExplorer1234.
- Jain's lyrics are highly innovative and very different from other popular artists right now. The song is also a tribute to Miriam Makeba, a famous South African singer and activist.
December 16, 2018: Stay With Me by Goran Karan
- Nominated by 22.214.171.124.
- The words are so touching that I find myself listening to them several times a day. It causes a good feeling inside me. As a single person and lost love the words makes me realise what is now gone.
December 15, 2018: We Exalt Thee by L.A. Mass Choir
- Nominated by 2606:A000:8A4A:F600:4574:3774:9065:203A.
- I nominate this song because it is dear to my heart, I seem to get emotionally overwhelmed every time I hear or sing this particular song.
- Nominated by 126.96.36.199.
- I nominate this song because this song, along with the entire album, had such great potential but failed due to faulty management and marketing that stifled the creativity of the artist instead of supported it.
December 13, 2018: At My Window by Geoffrey Oryema
- Nominated by 188.8.131.52.
- I wrote this song with Geoffrey in 2005. I love it and I loved him. It was me missing him at my window in Brussels. I recall sitting in a hotel lobby and he pulled out his guitar as I sang the melody to him. Voila, we went straight to studio and gave it birth.
He released it as the first single of the N2N album and offered it to his listening audience in the context of him missing Africa which I loved. When he came to Australia a few years later, he sang it to me at Womad 98. It was a beautiful memory now 20 years on.
Sadly Geoffrey has recently passed on 22 June 2018... he will be greatly missed but his fabulous music will always live on. As Peter Gabriel said, he was a big man with a big heart who leaves a big hole. RIP Geoffrey, the world has lost a truly magnificent soul.
December 12, 2018: Cornerman by Sky Cries Mary
- Nominated by 184.108.40.206.
- Homelessness is rampant now in West Coast cities. Sort of an acknowledgement of the mystic space engendered by simple living
December 11, 2018: Capturing Images by Anni B Sweet
- Nominated by 220.127.116.11.
- I nominate this song because on Thanksgiving it reminds me of my youth and love and how lucky I was to experience that in this lifetime!
December 10, 2018: The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
- Nominated by 18.104.22.168.
- For the lyrics, of course. Compares the variation in emotions to the variation of seasons. Great music, too.
December 09, 2018: How Many More Times by Led Zeppelin
- Nominated by Cubs Fan.
- Developed by Jimmy Page when he was still with the Yardbirds, it's the perfect song to end Zeppelin's debut album. It's a bit long, but the music is so good, you barely notice; I guess the old adage is right: time flies when you're having fun.
December 08, 2018: La Bayamesa by Silvio Rodríguez
- Nominated by 22.214.171.124.
- I nominate this song because it represents my roots, my love, my life in Cuba...
December 07, 2018: Let's Remember Pearl Harbor by Sammy Kaye
- Nominated by 126.96.36.199.
- This is the right song for today's date, and for those who heard the original it will rekindle that spirit of patriotism.
Preferred Date: December 7, 2018 (Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor)
December 06, 2018: Finlandia by Jean Sibelius
- Nominated by 188.8.131.52.
- It is Finland's 101st birthday!!! Also it is one of the best songs in the world :)
Preferred Date: December 6, 2018 (101st anniversary of independence since 6 December 1917)
December 05, 2018: Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka
- Nominated by 184.108.40.206.
- Mark played it at work today - it's a great song. I haven't heard it in a long time. It took me back to high school. Go Neil Sadaka!
December 04, 2018: Le Ciel by Malice Mizer
- Nominated by 220.127.116.11.
- I'm still feeling devastated over reading about a 5 year old girl who died after 2 years of child abuse and neglect in Japan. I've been searching for songs to send out for her and this is one that feels appropriate.
December 03, 2018: Her Darkest Hour by Rare Bird
- Nominated by 18.104.22.168.
- I have been listening to this song, and the masterpiece of an album that it comes from, for 46 years now... And I'm certain that I will until I pass from this world. This song, and its album (Epic Forest) remain as one of rock's greatest undiscovered gems.
December 02, 2018: I Refuse by Five Finger Death Punch
- Nominated by 2601:603:4C80:F6:5945:384D:1612:B404.
- This song is a great break from what the band normally does and was a welcome surprise for me.
December 01, 2018: Twilight by Electric Light Orchestra
- Nominated by TheSponge231.
- I think this is a very overlooked song by ELO. "Hold On Tight" gets a lot of attention but I feel this should have been its lead single.
Preferred Date: December 1, 2018