Page Layout SuggestionEdit
I have a suggestion and I'll just see if this goes anywhere. In the Editor's Corner on the lower portion of the page, it seems to stretch down quite a way and looks kind of odd (no offense). I was wondering if perhaps you could scrap that Anonymous icon with the face on it and put two editor's corner boxes side by side. That way the middle section isn't so long in comparison to the rest of the page. Thanks for your time. 01:12, 6 February 2009 (UTC)
- seems as if I've missed the discussion...but now that I see the new front page....I really dislike it. RainbowDragon made some point, but the new layout...sorry, but it looks very very cheap. the old one was far more elegant and communicated more professionality ans seriousness. Also I don't see the logic on the new front page, whay the iTunes-chart's located in the center. The orange-blue headers doesn't fit in the layout of rest of the side. the font dosen't fit to the rest of the side. the blocks could be detached with a restrained line vertical & horizontal. The ideas you guys have converted were good, but I just don't really like the outcome. Sorry, I like the old layout more.
- Parsprototo 09:55, 23 February 2010 (GMT)
- I agree completely. --Raygun Shaun 03:45, February 27, 2010 (UTC)
- I liked the entire old site better. Infogatherer 02:36, March 2, 2010 (UTC)
Additional Category Needed for BollywoodEdit
Hello, you need a separate category for music from Bollywood / Hindi films. Good translations for popular songs would be a huge asset to the online community. Just create the category and let it go from there :) Thanks for listening! — The preceding 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs).comment was added by
Hi, i would really like you to have a Top 10 like the previous lyricwiki.org because it was really interesting and it was a very good source of information to listen to new music, also the music was great!. I hope you could bring the Top 10 back!!! Thanks — The preceding 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs). 01:33, September 8, 2009 (UTC)comment was added by
- I believe the plan is to have it return, but it's not functioning correctly in the new Wikia universe, so it's on a to-be-done list.
01:33, September 8, 2009 (UTC)
- This has been fixed for a while now. Archivable -Sean Colombo 17:57, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
I liked it more before... 18.104.22.168 02:23, September 13, 2009 (UTC)
The Changes Edit
The whole site just sucks. Nothing works, you don't update the songs of the day. When you do, you can't copy (and I understand why) the lyrics. Like the previous poster said, the search engines for songs don't work. It's really quite bad. — The preceding 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs).comment was added by
- While I disagree with the first sentence, you make three very valid points - two of which can be fixed in the short-term (the exemption obviously being the copy-protection):
- ÜB hasn't been updating the Song Of The Day and doing it manually isn't as punctual. RT #33103
- The current search isn't cutting it. RT #33104
- ÜB hasn't been updating the Song Of The Day and doing it manually isn't as punctual.
- As a side note, please feel free to sign notes even if you're frustrated. I'm not going to hold it against you for being frustrated when things are broken. If you sign, I can get more info if I need it (not the case this time) and/or inform you when problems become fixed. Just a thought :)
- Sorry about all of the inconveniences... thanks for your patience as we try to keep ironing things out.
- Thanks for your input,
- -Sean Colombo 01:21, December 11, 2009 (UTC)
lyrics wiki has 1,109,134 pages and wikipedia has 3,129,000 pages! wow! where under 2,000,000 pages short of being the largest website on the internet! keep up the good work:)--Killerz509 18:09, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
Hi, who is the genius that decided not to allow lyrics to be selectable? That's just blatantly Retarded, Please fix...kthxbai126.96.36.199 22:53, January 15, 2010 (UTC)
Percentages on Lyrics Wiki Edit
Out of all 1,000,000 pages (which is the closest a Wikia site will probably ever get to Wikipedia), what percentage of those pages are lyrics, and what percentage is help and support? Star651 09:43, January 24, 2010 (UTC)
Can someone update the sidebar? I doubt "3", "Fireflies", "Russian Roulette" etc. are still popular searches. What about "Rude Boy", "Telephone", "Imma Be", "Need You Now or "Hey, Soul Sister"? Songs that have been on the charts for a while. – (talk) 03:42, March 20, 2010 (UTC)
Missing Band: No Connection Edit
Hi everybody! There's definitely a band missing in this Wiki: "No Connection" from Reading (Berkshire, UK). They became popular through the video games of the "FlatOut" franchise. I hope some of the active users know the band and will create a page for them. At present, some of their lyrics can be found on their MySpace page. --188.8.131.52 12:41, March 25, 2010 (UTC)
Lyrics Wiki in Portuguese language Edit
- seems to be offline. --Salandas 21:58, January 4, 2012 (UTC)
Sidebar update Edit
Can someone update the songs in the sidebar? They haven't been updated in two months. I suggest removing "Imma Be", "Telephone", "TiK ToK", "BedRock" and "In My Head" and adding "OMG", "Your Love Is My Drug", "Alejandro", "Nothin' On You", "California Gurls" and "Eenie Meenie". Each of these songs has been consecutive on the Billboard Hot 100. Also, the songs should probably be alphabetized. For convenience, I've provided the code below ;)
**Lady GaGa:Alejandro|Alejandro **Taio Cruz:Break Your Heart|Break Your Heart **Katy Perry:California Gurls|California Gurls **Justin Bieber:Eenie Meenie|Eenie Meenie **Train:Hey, Soul Sister|Hey, Soul Sister **Lady Antebellum:Need You Now|Need You Now **B.o.B:Nothin' On You|Nothin' On You **Usher:OMG|OMG **Rihanna:Rude Boy|Rude Boy **Ke$ha:Your Love Is My Drug|Your Love Is My Drug
Also, My World 2.0 should be added to the albums column. Thanks. 21:10, May 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Hate to be a pest again, but I have a new request.
- Remove "Eenie Meenie", "Hey, Soul Sister", "Nothin' On You" and "Need You Know" and add "Billionaire", "Airplanes", "Ridin' Solo" and "Cooler Than Me".
**B.o.B:Airplanes|Airplanes **Lady GaGa:Alejandro|Alejandro **Travie McCoy:Billionaire|Billionaire **Taio Cruz:Break Your Heart|Break Your Heart **Katy Perry:California Gurls|California Gurls **Mike Posner:Cooler Than Me|Cooler Than Me **Usher:OMG|OMG **Jason Derülo:Ridin' Solo|Ridin' Solo **Rihanna:Rude Boy|Rude Boy **Ke$ha:Your Love Is My Drug|Your Love Is My Drug
What's the point of Gracenote Edit
- I agree. A lot of the Gracenote lyrics I've come across are riddled with ridiculous errors. --Raygun Shaun 09:34, June 29, 2010 (UTC)
- I've come to the conclusion that, clearly, these so-called official lyrics are just the lyrics written down by someone at Gracenote who listened to the song and just typed them up as he went. Last I check, a band doesn't write "[Incomprehensible]" in their own "official" lyrics. Trust the lyric-lyrics well beyond the Gracenote lyrics, everyone. It's misleading and I vote they be untitled "offical lyrics." A prime example of this is the song Plans Are For People, which I typed the lyrics for straight from the band's booklet, because I bought the CD. Compare the "official" lyrics and the ones I typed and see the difference between the two. Another example is In Venere Veritas, a song I also typed the lyrics for from the band's booklet but the official lyrics are dreadfully off. No more "official" lyrics!
Jordan Woolf 03:59, January 24, 2011 (UTC)
Maybe you should clarify by changing that to "free as in free beer" or "gratis". With an obnoxious copy restriction (ineffective, annoying, trying to break normal web features) -- but what else would one expect from Sony (do you remember their copy restriction rootkit?). I guess you had no choice but to yield to the pressure from the copyright cartel.
Is this a wiki? If, then I wonder why (and who) would add content here, under such restrictions. (I guess some people do.)
- There's a lot of reasons why to add content here:
- Because you are able to.
- Because you can do it without registration if you don't want to register
- Because we hate layer ads as much as you do
- Chris 23:12, October 2, 2010 (UTC)
Adding/editing albums Edit
Hey guys, new to this site, and was wondering if I could get, somewhat of an easy understanding on adding albums (meaning if there's songs already there, how do I get them into an album). For example, if you have an album that's there, but with red text, but the tracks all have lyrics/blue color.
The FAQ posted on here is way to confusing for me.
- First, edit the section of the album you want to create. Copy the song list (all lines that start with "#"). Then go back, click on the red albumlink, and see what happens: you'll get to a page where you can create the album. Now paste the song list into the editor where the dummy links are displayed and save the page.
- That is the most basic way of how to create an albumpage. The red link to the album should disappear after you reload the page with the link. As soon as you feel confident about creating the albumpages that way, you can start to fill in the data on it before saving the page, for example the length or the Wikipedia article's name. A good way to start is to look on other pages, preferably the golden ones (like Category:Gold Albums), and on the template pages (like Template:AlbumFooter, as they usually include a detailed documentation with examples and explanations. - Chris 23:07, October 2, 2010 (UTC)
Okay, since the main page uses the iTunes Top 100 list, I think it would make sense to use the Billboard Hot 100 for the sidebar, seeing that the list is a little more conservative.
In any case, it's outdated. May someone please update it?
**Eminem:Love The Way You Lie|Love The Way You Lie **Katy Perry:California Gurls|California Gurls **Taio Cruz:Dynamite|Dynamite **B.o.B:Airplanes|Airplanes **Enrique Iglesias:I Like It|I Like It **Mike Posner:Cooler Than Me|Cooler Than Me **Katy Perry:Teenage Dream|Teenage Dream **Travie McCoy:Billionaire|Billionaire **Usher:DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love|DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love **Usher:OMG|OMG
- Very soon, the new skin will force us to no longer abuse the navigation as link-depot to currently wanted articles. Its functionality will be changed completely. - Chris 23:10, October 2, 2010 (UTC)
I'm sure someone's on it, but allmusic has changed the format of their page addresses. While the existing links in LW still work, the handling of the new format will have to be addressed in the various page footers before new links to the site can be created. BTW, big fan of the new look. I'm sure all the little problems will be ironed out shortly. --Jomidi 22:09, October 14, 2010 (UTC)
Free Album of the Week Edit
Who thinks we should just get rid of the Free Album of the Week and replace it with something else?
hard4me 01:09, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, please remove it. 65 weeks of JoJo on the front page are not funny anymore. -- Chillvie 21:47, December 11, 2011 (UTC)
Wikia is experiencing some technical difficulties. If you can't access this, it's because the data center isn't working correctly right now. Wikia said that they are working on it as we speak.
hard4me 19:05, September 5, 2011 (UTC)
Hi, I'm new!
Pluto is a Planet 22:53, February 19, 2012 (UTC)
Placement of advertising Edit
Am I the only one who thinks that the start page looks terrible with that ad box beneath the search box and that large blank space next to it? And the box saying "Welcome to Lyric Wiki" starting only beneath that. Why not put that ad box above the twitter box?--91.49 14:34, February 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Yeah, I've been getting complaints about that too. If we just put the "Welcome to Lyric Wiki" in the left-column, the ad should line up fine, I think.
- -Sean Colombo 21:43, March 30, 2012 (UTC)
- *easy-button* fixed it. -Sean Colombo 21:45, March 30, 2012 (UTC)
The lyrics to some ccMixter tracks are missing from the ccMixter website and I came looking for them here. I have typed out a few lyrics there for artists who neglected to write down what they sang. I would be happy to post them here as well, if creative commons licensed music lyrics are welcome...
- If creative commons allows the lyrics to be written down somewhere, then go ahead. If you need to know how to add lyrics to LyricWiki, you can watch this video tutorial on YouTube. - Chris 21:05, September 2, 2012 (UTC)
- You realise you've just destroyed any hope of ever getting some company in there? :-) — 6×9 (Talk) 20:31, February 7, 2013 (UTC)
Please fix the Russian songs' lyrics Edit
Please fix what happens with the Russian songs' lyrics' redirection. For example http://lyrics.wikia.com/%D0%AD%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%8F_%28Epidemia%29:%D0%91%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B7%D0%B2%D1%91%D0%B7%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%87%D1%8C does not work, but http://lyrics.wikia.com/%D0%AD%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%8F_%28Epidemia%29:%D0%91%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B7%D0%B2%D1%91%D0%B7%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%9D%D0%BE%D1%87%D1%8C yes.
It's awful, because the manner in those titles is to keep only the first letter capital. And the English titles are redirected no matter of the capital letters. Note that an n-word title would have to have 2^(n-1) alternative titles to be fully covered. With n=6 it becomes 32 (sic!) --Marmistrz (talk) 20:21, May 15, 2014 (CEST)
- Redirects for all the different capital letters aren't made, if that's what you are thinking! They are usually only made if the page was named badly to start with, I think. There's no redirect at 'Эпидемия (Epidemia):Беззвёздная ночь', because the correct capitalised page at 'Эпидемия (Epidemia):Беззвёздная Ночь' already exists. But if you think it is useful, you can make a redirect. -OneTwoThreeFall ( T / C ) 18:47, May 15, 2014 (UTC)
- Actually, not all redirects need to be created explicitly: e.g. http://lyrics.wikia.com/Pink_Floyd:Wish_you_were_here leads to the correct page, even though no redirect exists at Pink Floyd:Wish you were here. Unfortunately, the piece of magic that takes care of this doesn't seem to work for non-Latin characters, and since this problem has been known for years, I doubt it'll ever get fixed… — 6×9 (Talk) 14:10, May 17, 2014 (UTC)
Proposal: uniformize quotation marks Edit
I have just noticed that some lyrics use different quotation mark glyphs and apostrophes. I suggest to have a bot go through the whole wiki and mercilessly replace everything with good old ASCII straight single or double quotes -- also known as "programmer style" or "typewriter style". -- LYRIC-Stormwatch (talk) 11:29, July 2, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm all for plain quotes. Unfortunately it wouldn't be done with running the bot once; I guess some people use a text editor which auto-replaces them with fancy quotes, so you'd either have to run the bot across all song pages regularly, or check all page creations and edits since the last run… First one is probably more realistic, since easier to limit to song pages only, and it's enough to run it twice a year or so…
- I'm currently running a bot across all LyricFind pages, but once that is through (which will take a while, mind you!) I'll see what I can do. — 6×9 (Talk) 07:42, July 3, 2014 (UTC)
More problems with the Russian lyrics. Edit
But http://lyrics.wikia.com/Эпидемия:Феникс is NOT redirected to http://lyrics.wikia.com/Эпидемия_(Epidemia):Феникс