Repeating Songs For Song Of The DayEdit
Nirvana:Come As You Are was the Song Of The Day on August 09, 2006 which wasn't long ago at all. Is it going to be the Song of the Day again? Just curious, since there are currently 3 other songs waiting in line behind it and I don't think a Song of the Day has been repeated yet. It's cool if it is repeated (first time for everything), but I thought I'd point it out just in case. --Fallintothis 15:22, 16 August 2006 (PDT)
- Oops, good call, I'll bump it down to the end of the queue to give it a little more time ;)
- -Sean Colombo 16:44, 17 August 2006 (PDT)
- Bit late, but anyway: I think it's not a good idea to have a song as SOTD more than once. Especially given the enourmous amount of lyrics already in the database, I see no need to SOTD-ify a song more than once.
- Question is what happens when the queue gets empty and nobody fills it up.
- Mischko 09:12, 18 September 2006 (PDT)
- I just wanted to point out that One by Metallica has also already been a song of the day, according to its page. I think we should avoid repeats, it's only logical.
Today's SOTD's description is: "This is one of my favorite songs." The description in the queue for Shakira's Hips Don't Lie is: "Becuase (sic) it's sang by the Shakira" These both should have been in the Pending area, shouldn't they? I figure that front page stuff should be better/more interesting/specific to the song. (Not to mention spelled correctly.) --Kiefer 13:02, 10 January 2007 (EST)
- There are several nominations in the queue whose description is quite bad, both concerning content and spelling. Does nobody check the nominations before they are put into the queue? Maybe repeating well described old Songs of the Day would be better than displaying bad new ones.--18.104.22.168 22:15, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
- The word "Incubus" is misspelled "Inubus" in one of the nominations. Also, the nomination for Eminem's "Without You" currently starts with a lowercase letter. Davemcarlson 23:17, 18 May 2007 (EDT)
- I have fixed this for you (see edit). Thank you for pointing this out! --WillMak050389 10:15, 19 May 2007 (EDT)
In the SOTD queue, it says that Weird Al's song "The Saga Begins" was created before Star Wars Episode I; it should be "released." From what I've read, George Lucas had the prequel trilogy planned in his mind since at least 1975, when he wrote the original Star Wars; well before Weird Al came along. Also, "released" was what I put when I initially nominated it. Thanks. -- Cubs Fan2007 04:17, 30 December 2007 (EST)
Under the Aerosmith:Train Kept a Rollin' nom, it says "Steve Perry" near the mention of the guitar work. It should be Joe Perry. - Cubs Fan2007 03:02, 31 March 2008 (EDT)
Automatic checks (wrapping)Edit
For two consecutive days, I have fixed the wrapping in the SOTD badge on the front page, because the links were specified as Very_Long_Song_Name_With_Underscores_Instead_Of_Spaces_Which_Therefore_Don't_Get_Broken_In_The_Small_Badge_On_The_Main_Page. Apart from more manual checking of the queue (which is very very long by the way, good job all!) perhaps User:Uberbot can automatically do some minor things, such as
- convert underscores in the song name link to spaces
- convert the username to a link if not given (Nominator: me instead of Nominator: me).
- reject songs and put them in the pending section if the song page does not exist.
These small checks are often overlooked by the administrators, are easy to perform automatically and will improve the display quality on the main page. --Mischko 07:44, 24 June 2007 (EDT)
Consecutive blocks Edit
Sometimes, there are long blocks of nominations which sort of belong together. For example, the past three days the SOTD was from High School Musical. In a couple of days, there are like 20 Bruce Springsteen songs in a row. Though I'm a fan of both, there are so many songs on this page that I think it's a waste to have so many songs from one artist become SOTD in a row. Can we fix this? (e.g., only move a nomination for some artist to the queue if there are at least three different artists after its last nomination). --Mischko 04:42, 5 July 2007 (EDT)
Quality of SOTD NominationsEdit
Okay, we have a ton of SOTD noms to choose from, and I think that we can perhaps be a little pickier with what is actually used. Too many of the descriptions are a couple of short sentences still along the lines of "great song, great lyrics." Okay. Sure. BUT WHY!?!?! People aren't going to nominate a song they think sucks, (although some seem to nominate any major song out there :-] ) and this is front page material, so it should have a higher degree of interest. Agree/Disagree? ----Kiefer 13:56, 26 August 2007 (EDT)
- I agree that we should start filtering nominations. I just don't want to fall back to having to come up with nominations because we are running out.
- - teknomunk (talk,E,歌) 17:35, 26 August 2007 (EDT)
The YouTube links to "I Just Want to Make Love to You" and "Rock 'N' Roll Train" need a space in beween the link and the "audio" text that should be displayed. Somehow, I managed to overlook that when I nominated them. Thanks. --Cubs Fan2007 04:24, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks. Something else I noticed: there's an absent space in the reason section of "Too Rolling Stoned"; "Trowertracks" should be "Trower tracks". -- 02:23, 2 January 2009 (UTC)
I didn't think about it until today, but since Run-DMC is being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame on Saturday, would it be possible to move "Walk This Way" in the queue to April 4? --23:15, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- Sorry Cubs, I don't know if this was actioned because as you know I've been helping out on these pages over recent weeks but I didn't have this page on my watchlist. ♫Яєdxx ♪♫♪♫♪ Actions Words 00:58, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
ÜB is back in town Edit
ÜberBot will be updating the SOTD pages again starting tonight... but just like before he still needs us to put the songs in the order we want them to come out (ie: he can't do preferred dates automatically).
Thanks to everyone (especially Redxx!!!) for taking care of things while he was away,
-Sean Colombo 02:32, December 22, 2009 (UTC)